MF was established in 1996 and is an association of around 100 members. These members are companies, organizations and authorities such as shipping lines, port companies, shipbrokers, universities, unions, technical suppliers, shippers, shipping organizations, authorities and other companies related to the shipping industry. The object of Maritime Forum is to:
• increase knowledge about shipping as an industry and as a mode of transportation
• communicate the possibilities and advantages of seaborne trade and transportation
• highlight the important role that shipping brings to both the Swedish society and its industry
• highlight the benefits of shipping as an interesting sector for employment and education
• stimulate openness, co-operation and discussions within the shipping cluster
Promoting inland navigation will be an additional objective as Sweden implemented the EU regulations for inland waterways (IWW) recently.
The main external target groups of the promotion are politicians, decision-makers, media and young people.
The MF is representing body of the Swedish Short Sea Shipping Promotion Centre.